Teeth Gap!

Monday, August 8, 2011
I have a gap between my two front teeth. It lies between my first right upper incisor and my first left upper incisor.


Well, sometimes I feel like I don't like my gap. I think it doesn't look good at all. And I perceived that I look better when I smiled mouth closed. But, as always, I won't let it get in my way in finding out more :)
So, I did a little research on teeth gap. 

In the fancy term it is called the midline diastema, as I quote: 

A diastema is a space or gap between two teeth. It appears most often between the two upper front teeth. However, gaps can occur between any two teeth. 

A mismatch between the size of the jaw bones and the size of the teeth can cause either extra space between teeth or crowding of teeth. If the teeth are too small for the jaw bone, spaces between the teeth will occur. If the teeth are too big for the jaw, teeth will be crowded.

Spaces develop for a few other reasons as well. 

Sometimes some teeth are missing or undersized. This happens most often with the upper lateral incisors (the teeth next to the two upper front teeth). That can cause the upper central incisors to develop a space.  

A diastema also can be caused by an oversized labial frenum. The labial frenum is the piece of tissue that normally extends from the inside of your upper lip to the gum just above your two upper front teeth. In some situations, the labial frenum continues to grow and passes between the two front teeth. If this happens, it blocks the natural closing of the space between these teeth.  

Habits can also lead to gaps between the teeth. Thumb sucking tends to pull the front teeth forward, creating gaps.  

Spaces can develop from an incorrect swallowing reflex. For most people, the tongue presses against the roof of the mouth (palate) during swallowing. Some people develop a different reflex known as a tongue thrust. When they swallow, the tongue presses against the front teeth. Over time the pressure will push the front teeth forward. This can cause spaces to develop.  

Periodontal (gum) disease results in the loss of the bone that supports the teeth. In people who have lost a lot of bone, the teeth can become loose. This movement can result in gaps between the front teeth. 
Children may have temporary gaps as their baby teeth fall out. Most of these spaces close as the permanent teeth reach their final positions.

My Mom said to me that people with teeth gap are destined to be rich! So I dig in a little deeper and I found this site called Lucky Gap, dedicated for all very lucky people who have a gap or space between your two top front teeth! As the founder of this site wrote:

Over the years I've heard different stories and tales about this trait: A gap in your teeth is the sign of Venus - the goddess of love! I’ve been told. In some African tribes having a gap in your front teeth was a sign of wisdom and in France they call it "les dents du bonheur" (teeth of happiness)! There was even a film made by Les Blank in 1987 called Gap-Toothed Women, which explores different connotations of gap-teeth such as a beauty mark or as a sign of an amorous nature.

I've also heard that it's a sign of wealth, now, I don't know about that one! but, perhaps if we could ask some well known and not so well known gap-toothed celebrities they would agree.

Well, let's check out some celebs and their teeth gap!

1. Madonna


2. Arnold Schwarzenegger

  
3. Elijah Wood


4. Robin Williams


5. Elton John


6. Kate Moss


7. Condoleezza Rice


8. Spongebob Squarepants

Ha!

Even Lady Gaga featured one on her Born This Way clip:


I think, whether you want to keep your tooth gap or to close it up, it is completely up to you! For now, I think I will just keep my lucky gap. Who knows I will end up lucky and wealthy :P

2 comments:

Sasora said...

I also have a gap on the my front teeth. But it looks dirty in some photos. I will have it altered next week, now I'm feeling guilty. :(

Kartika Saraswati said...

You know what, I'm wearing braces now :D I don't know, I have some change of heart (I guess). But hearing you feeling guilty I felt guilty too T.T

Post a Comment